How do I sign up for water and sewer service?

Please call the office to get services started, 563-285-7397 we will give you your account number and you can follow this link to create your account and fill out our applications


What are Park View Water & Sanitary District's office hours?

Park View Water & Sanitary District's office hours are Monday-Friday 7a.m.-3p.m. If you need to make a payment after hours, we have a payment slot/drop box on our door or you can pay your bill online here https://parkviewwsd.frontdeskgworks.com/

Where is the office located?

Our address is 12-A Grove Rd. in Park View. If you are having trouble finding us using your GPS, try using Eldridge, IA as the city for mapping. We are located in the south end of the strip mall that is behind (East) Casey's, in the building with DENTIST on the roof, right next door to Mama's Parlor.

When will I receive my bill?

We bill quarterly.

January - March usage is billed the first week of April

April - June usage is billed the first week of July

July - September usage is billed the first week of October

October - December usage is billed the first week of January

Why have the rates increased?

The IDNR has updated the Park View Water & Sanitary District (PVW&SD) Water (dated 12-19-17) and Sewer (dated 4-13-18) Operation Permits. Both permits require the PVW&SD to evaluate and improve the water and sewer treatment systems to bring them into compliance with all Safe Drinking Water and Clean Water Act standards. Compliance requires facility improvement and upgrades, requiring external funding from the State Revolving Fund and 20 years of annual repayment obligations. These repayment obligations require an adjustment to the rate structure to ensure adequate revenues to meet the new SRF obligations.

What payment methods do you accept?

1) Online: you can view and pay your bill at https://parkviewwsd.frontdeskgworks.com/.

2) Credit card: call, mail or drop off your payment stub with all information available.* We will need all the numbers including expiration date and three digit security code. We accept Visa, MasterCard, & American Express, credit or debit. * We do not keep your card information on file!

3) Drop Box: you can drop a check, money-order or your payment stub with credit card information in the slot of the drop box on our front door. DO NOT LEAVE CASH.

4) Money Orders: available at the Kwik Shop and Kwik Shop is open 24 hours per day. Write your acct number on the money order, sign it and drop it in our box.

5) Bill Pay: through your bank you can set up a fixed amount to be taken out of your account and sent to us on a specific date. Example: If your bill is usually $150 you will have $50.00 taken out in July, August and September no later than the 15th of the month. This will guarantee that we will receive payment in time for your payment that will be due in October. Please make sure you have the new account number on these checks.

6) Office Counter: you are welcome to come in to our office and pay with cash, however we cannot make change. If we are not in the office this DOES NOT constitute a reason for not making your payment. Save yourself penalties and get a money order from Kwik Shop!

Can I sign up for AutoPay?

You can sign up for autopay by creating an account on FrontDesk. Set up your payment options and make sure you check autopay. Please note: if you use a credit card as your payment option there is a convenience fee. You can also complete this form with your bank account information, attach a voided check, and return it to the office.